Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Thing #3

How can I use blogs in my future classroom? I would assume the possibilities are unlimited but I could only think of a few. One way, I could use it to bring the classroom to the parents. Although not all parents are always there for their child's education, I want to make sure I make it easy for the ones that want to be involved to do so. When I was in High School (private school) there were many parents that wanted to be involved in the students education and I think a Teacher's Blog forum would have been very nice. For myself, I would think blogging daily or a few times a week regarding the 'goings-on' of the classroom would help to keep parents involved. Also, another thought that I had, would be to use a blog to supplement the classroom lesson. I think, since my subject would probably be History or Government, that after specific lessons, to have links to videos or websites regarding today's government or laws and have students comment on those. I think students would be more apt to go home and watch a Youtube.com video about a topic and to write a short blog on it than to answer 50 questions from the end of the chapter. Either way, there are lots of good educational stuff on the web that we may not be able to show (Youtube.com videos for example) during class that can be used as homework. Instead of using 15 or 20 minutes of class time on a video, spend that time with the students doing peer-to-peer activities and have them watch the video at home. Technology has come a long way and there are many ways we can use it to benefit the children of the classroom.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that informing the children's parents of what is going on in the classroom is important. I know that when I was in school and even now, my parents like to stay caught up on what is going on. I think that the blog is a great way to keep them involved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A blog would definitely be helpful for parents! As students get older, their parents usually takes a backseat and aren't as "hands-on" as they used to be in elementary school. I don't think it's a lack of interest, but the children are growing up and being more independent and less needy. There's not a lot of room for parental involvement, either. No more spelling words to go over or Christmas parties to chaperone, so they probably feel a little left out and are afraid to "interefere"; this is where a blog will come in handy for parents and make them feel more informed.

    ReplyDelete