Thursday, April 4, 2013

Thing #13

Online word processing, spreadsheets, and other productivity collaboration apps have become very popular. I frequently use Google Docs. I am always enjoying finding new technologies and sites like Zoho. I did test out the site. I saw many things like the CRM and Books on the site that I may look into later but I only tested the word processor. With my frequent use a of Google (Voice, Docs, Mail, App Store, and others) I find that I will probably continue using the site. IN the Thing #13 blog post, it was mentioned that products like Microsoft Office might be extinct when these online apps take over mainstream but I disagree. Although I use Google often, I find my self still preferring Microsoft Word if I know the document I am working on should be finished in one sitting. If I plan to spend a long time on the document, share it with others, or know I will need to email it to myself, I usually just start using Google Docs. One night in the library in my first year at APSU, I was typing a paper (that ended up being 14 something pages). Many class mates were in the library working on this final paper as well. It was about 1 hour before the library closed so students were rushing to finish. Suddenly, the power in the library was interrupted and all the lights and computers shut off. Every student began yelling and cussing because they know their documents were not saved. I pulled my phone out, and continued typing on my paper, within a few minutes, the lights came on along with the computers. I reaccessed the Google Drive, finished my paper and printed it. Many students lost all of their data. However. Before I print a document, I usually have to download it from Google to Microsoft Word, correct the formatting, and print it. I don't like the way documents print from Google or the way they download to Word. Personally I will continue to use Google, but would like to keep Microsoft as well to fine tune the documents.

No comments:

Post a Comment